There are many uses for a garden wagon or a cart, starting from carrying one’s gardening tools to relocating heavy objects around the yard. When I first used a wagon, for example, it was to carry flower pots around the garden, but people generally employ them for a far more diverse set of tasks. These mobile carts can relieve a lot of the stress you would otherwise experience were you to carry things by hand, not to mention how flexible they are in regards to storage and repurposing.
Now, you have to remember that these wagons come in many shapes and sizes, meaning that you will have to do a fair bit of research in order to find one that best suits your needs. Fear not, the market has a wide range of wagons to choose from, one more interesting than other. For you to make an educated decision, you should first figure out what characteristics best describe the ideal wagon. Let’s try to do just that as we take a look at the ten best wagons the market has to offer at this point in time.
My Top 10 Best Wagons Recommendations & Reviews
#10 Little Tikes Lil’ Wagon
Ingeniously crafted to match the size of a toddler, the Little Tikes Lil’ Wagon is known for its durability and quality. Made to pull along children’s play items, this wagon can be utilized both indoors and outdoors. Equipped with sturdy, robust wheels, they glide over indoor surfaces and are strong enough to move smoothly over outdoor rugged surfaces as well. Featuring a foldable handle, it can be easily folded flat and stored away in a corner.
- It is a very durable wagon by most standards
- Features a foldable handle for easy storage
- Designed to pull along things indoors and outdoors
- Its wheels provide protection to indoor surfaces
- Feels more or less like a toy
- Its plastic construction makes it feel a bit flimsy
#9 PORTAL Collapsible Folding Outdoor Utility Wagon
The PORTAL Collapsible Folding Outdoor Utility Wagon is a high-quality cart that is designed to transport items from one place to another, over any kind of terrain. Known for its lightweight, and compact size, this wagon is crafted from lightweight materials and can be pulled along without any effort. Lined with a strong fabric that is resistant to wear and tear, it can withstand all weather conditions and is water-proof. Owing to its large-sized rubber wheels, it is built to glide over the roughest terrain. Extremely reliable, convenient and durable, this wagon can handle loads of 225 lbs.
- It is very quick to set up
- Can hold up loads as heavy as 225 lbs
- It can be folded up for easy storage
- Features an ergonomic, sturdy handle for better handling
- It moves in a zigzag fashion
- The wheels could be sturdier
#8 Sandusky Lee CW3418 Muscle Carts
The Sandusky Lee CW3418 Muscle Carts is a premium grade wagon that is uniquely designed with a capacity to hold up to 400 pounds in weight. Measuring 34 inches by 18 inches, it features folding sides that can be detached making it easier to transport bigger bulkier items. Crafted with a powder coated finish, the entire frame, and body of the wagon is made from high-quality mesh. Equipped with a straight handle that is well-padded, it comes with 10-inch tires that can glide over any terrain smoothly while ensuring the user does not experience any discomfort.
- Its sturdy construction recommend it for heavy loads
- It features a D-style handle for better pulling
- Benefits from 10″ pneumatic rubber tires
- Can carry loads as heavy as 400 lbs
- Tends to rust if left exposed to the elements
- It has a distinctive smell
#7 Seina Collapsible Folding Utility Wagon Garden Cart
Light in weight and compact in size, the Seina Collapsible Folding Utility Wagon weighs a minimum of 13.5 pounds and is ideal for utilizing at the beach, while shopping or gardening or any activities outdoors. Designed with a premium quality steel frame that is coated with black powder, it is covered with 600D heavy duty polyester fabric. Thanks to its 7-inch tires made from robust rubber, this wagon can easily glide over any kind of terrain, rough or smooth. Crafted with the ability to take up to 150lbs of weight, there is no assembly required before utilizing this wagon.
- It requires no prior assembly whatsoever
- Features maneuverable 7″ rubber all-terrain wheels
- Has a weight capacity of 150 lbs
- It is fairly light in weight and easy to pull
- It feels a bit bulky on uneven terrain
- The bottom feels a bit flimsy
#6 Mac Sports Collapsible Outdoor Utility Wagon
Available in an array of vibrant colors, the Mac Sports Collapsible Folding Outdoor Utility Wagon is designed to carry loads weighing up to 150 lbs. With just a few seconds to set up, this wagon does not require any assembly and folds to a minimum of just 8 inches thick. Convenient, space efficient and light in weight, it just weighs a total of 24.5 lbs. Designed with a robust frame and body it comes lined with a durable 600D fabric that is resistant to mildew and harmful UV rays. Including an adjustable handle that allows easy pulling, it features 2 cup holders made from mesh allowing you to store your beverages. Unlike others, this wagon is ideal for hauling sports equipment, outdoor toys during visits to the park and is great for moving items around the house.
- Benefits from a very roomy interior
- Its convenient, compact design makes it easy to store
- Features a heavy-duty frame that ensures its long-term durability
- Has a functional, fully adjustable handle
- Its front axle does not pivot when turning
- The color looks a bit bland
#5 Radio Flyer 3-in-1 EZ Folding Wagon
The Radio Flyer EZ Folding Wagon is uniquely designed with 3 different modes including space for 2 riders to sit, hauling and bench seating. With the ability to hold up to 150 lbs, the wagon is made with heavy duty DuraClean fabric that can be cleaned easily with a wet cloth. Equipped with a soft padded seat, this compact, lightweight wagon can be folded and carried with one hand. Unlike most of its kind, it comes designed with safety straps on the side panel along with durable zippers that allow the wagon to be transformed into a bench for comfortable seating.
- It is designed as a folding wagon, thus it can be stored with ease
- Features two cup holders in the front
- It is equipped with quiet ride tires and a telescoping handle
- Has a weight capacity of 150 lbs
- The fabric cover is kind of thin
- Its steering feels a bit rigid
#4 Radio Flyer Pathfinder Wagon
Featuring a durable sturdy body with a front axle that prevents tipping and turning over, the Radio Flyer Pathfinder Wagon comes designed with an easy steering mechanism and Dura-Tred tires that enable smooth and comfortable movement over any kind of terrain. Thanks to its unique convertible feature, the wagon is designed with seats that can be folded up or down. Equipped with 4 cup holders molded into the wagon, along with a storage compartment, it also comes with 2 seats with durable seatbelts for added safety. Unlike others of its kind, this wagon has won multiple awards including the National Parenting Publications Gold Award and has been given the National Parenting Center’s Seal of Approval.
- Enjoys an exclusive convertible feature with foldable seats
- This wagon benefits from a fairly sturdy construction
- It can be steered with ease thanks to a no-tip front axle
- Features dura-tread tires for a smooth, comfortable ride
- The wheels feel a bit flimsy
- Its handle is a bit rigid
#3 Radio Flyer Full Size All-Terrain Steel & Wood Wagon
Made from premium quality materials, the Radio Flyer Full-Size All-Terrain Steel & Wood Wagon features a robust frame made from steel with anti-scratch edging with durable wooden stake side panels. Thanks to its heavy duty 10-inch air tires, this wagon allows smooth and easy movement over any kind of surface. Featuring a classic design handle that is long enough to fold under, this wagon is space efficient and can be stored with ease. It comes with the latest mechanism that controls the radius while turning, ensuring the wagon does not tip over.
- Its sturdy, wooden stake sides make it very durable
- Features rugged, 10″ air tires
- Can be expected to roll well on any terrain
- Its controlled turning radius prevents tipping
- It gets easily scratched
- The wood in its making makes it a bit bulky
#2 Radio Flyer Ultimate EZ Folding Wagon
Known for its high performance, quality and convenience, the Radio Flyer Ultimate EZ Folding Wagon is one of the top models from the popular brand – Radio Flyer. Featuring a UV protected canopy that can be removed when needed, this wagon can be easily folded single-handedly. Weighing approximately 120 pounds, this wagon includes seats for 2 riders with seatbelts to ensure optimum safety, special seatbacks for added comfort while riding and 4 molded cup holders to ensure your snacks and beverages are secure. Unlike others, this heavy duty wagon comes with a versatile telescoping handle that allows easy transport and measures 42.5 inches from the handle down to the floor. Made with a heavy duty steel frame, the wagon is lined with Dura-clean fabric and is super-easy to clean.
- Features a hand fold, removable UV protection canopy
- Enjoys a fairly large, very accommodating construction
- Its telescoping handle makes it easy to pull
- It is equipped with seat backs and four cup holders
- Its weight capacity isn’t that impressive given its size
- Steering feels a bit rigid
#1 MAC SPORTS Sports Folding Garden Utility Wagon
Available in 7 different colors to choose from, the MAC SPORTS B078WZC1MR Sports Folding Garden Utility Wagon is designed to transport heavy and large items from one place to another. Perfect for concerts outdoors, sporting events, and gardening and just around the house, this wagon is easy to use and just takes a few minutes to set up. Featuring a robust frame made from steel, this wagon can hold up to 150 pounds of weight with ease. Lined with a heavy-duty, 600D polyester fabric, it can be cleaned and washed with ease after every use. Thanks to its foldable construction, it folds down in size and can be stored away without taking up a lot of space.
- Perfect for sporting events and casual trips
- Benefits from a durable 600 Denier Polyester construction
- Can be set up in just a matter of seconds
- It can be folded compactly for storage purposes
- Not great on sand
- Its steering could be better
More products also worth checking out:
What To Look For In A Wagon
Wagons are handy tools that allow users to easily transport heavy items from one place to another without any hassle. An ideal option for hauling items between short distances and during small events like parties, outdoor events, sports events, concerts, and for all your gardening needs. Whether you are at the park, a beach or on a hiking trip, these tools would definitely make your life a lot easier, allowing you to easily move your belongings without any added effort. This quick and simple buying guide will help you choose a wagon that best suits you, keeping in mind the various factors you should be aware of before making your choice.
Types of Wagons
When choosing a wagon that fits your need, bear in mind that there are three main types that you can select from, each with their own set of pros and cons. While for the most part, these wagons all serve the same general purposes, some are definitely more mobile than others. Not just that but some of these wagons are primarily tasked with carrying tools or heavy items that would otherwise be difficult to carry by hand.
- Metal Wagons – Considered as the most durable and reliable of the three, this wagon can withstand rough terrain, wear and tear and all kinds of outer impacts. However, it does tend to rust if not taken care of and properly maintained. It is a common feat with wagons such as these that they will eventually rust if left outside exposed to the elements. It is for this reason that you should look for metal wagons equipped with storage, folding features.
- Wooden Wagons – This type of wagon usually sells only because of its looks and style. It has to be said that this type of wagon cannot be utilized in rough weather conditions like during heavy rainfall or snow. This would cause the wood to splinter and would alter its original shape over time, which is why you should always have a dedicated storage space for the wagon when you’re not using it.
- Plastic Wagons – For kids and children, wagons made from BPA free plastic are perhaps the best option. Light in weight and safe to use, this type of wagon can be utilized in any kind of weather. The tires, however, if made of plastic, may not be able to roll well any other surface other than sidewalks or smooth floors. Other than that, keep in mind that plastic wagons are by far the most affordable of the three.
Factors To Consider When Buying A Wagon
- Weight Capacity – Always ensure that the capacity of the weight the wagon can take should always be more than the total weight of the objects you would like to transport. Carrying around larger, heavier items can damage the wagon and hamper is overall durability and lifespan.
- Frame – A good quality wagon should come with a sturdy, robust frame. The frame of the wagon is the most important element when it comes to its performance and durability. Frames made from premium quality steel are usually sturdier in nature.
- Fabric – Just like the frame, the fabric used to line the wagon should be of high quality and one that does not wear and tear easily. You should also keep in mind that the fabric should not only be strong but should also be easy to clean and maintain.
- Wheels – A good wagon should come equipped with all-terrain wheels. It is likely that you may have to push or pull your wagon over rough, rocky terrain and surfaces that are not smooth. Choosing all-terrain wheels are always a better choice, especially ones that are of a larger diameter.
- Handle – You must always remember that the height of the handle should match your own height. This is to ensure you do not experience any discomfort while pulling or pushing the wagon. A wagon with an adjustable handle is definitely a better choice as this would allow you to extend or decrease the length of the handle according to your preference.
- Portability – Wagons should always be portable and easy to fold and store. A lightweight, compact size wagon that comes with a foldable construction is a good option, as it would allow you to carry it around and store with ease.
- Capacity – It is always advisable to select a model or brand that provides more space to store items. This would not only help you carry more items, but it would enable you to organize your items easily inside the wagon. However, a larger interior space would mean a larger sized wagon and this would mean facing difficulty in folding and storing the wagon while traveling.