It is common for breastfeeding mothers to experience nipple soreness and even cracks or bleeding after repeated breastfeeding sessions. It isn’t something to be alarmed of, not unless the bleeding or soreness turn into excruciating pain followed by inflammation of the skin. In any case, you are better off employing a nipple cream in the knowledge that more and more women turn to use such balms and creams for obvious reasons.
With the right nipple cream, you can ease your nursing experience tenfold, provided that you take the time and find one that best suits your particular needs. Although most of these creams are targeted towards a common purpose, only the good ones are formulated so that they won’t conflict with any other cosmetics or skin creams you might be using. I figured out a long time ago that not all beauty products can be expected to deliver and so does any woman at some point or another. So when it comes to nursing creams, here are ten of the best money can buy.
My Top 10 Best Nipple Creams Recommendations & Reviews
#10 ALIVER Sensitive Areas Whitening Cream
Thanks to an all-natural formula, the ALIVER Sensitive Areas Whitening Cream includes Phyllanthus Emblica and willow bark extract and a triple lightening complex, which aids in bleaching dark nipples to a soft pink. The natural mulberry extract helps to control the production of melanin cells while the Sakura leaf extract and the vitamin E present in the formula helps to moisturize and nourish the nipples. Ideal for utilizing after a shower, this cream can be applied twice a day around the nipple area for best results.
- It can be used just as well on the neck, armpit, or knees
- Benefits from a mineral-rich formula
- Can be absorbed by the skin in just a matter of minutes
- Its unique formula lightens, tightens, and tenders the skin
- Confusing instructions
- The packaging feels a bit flimsy
#9 Bella B Naturals Bundle with Nipple Nurture Butter
Formulated to meet the demands of pregnant women and for new mothers who are actively nursing and breastfeeding, the Bella B Naturals Bundle contains a very soothing nipple cream certified by the USDA and made with 100% natural ingredients. Unlike others of its kind, this cream is safe to be ingested by babies, while encouraging them to latch on. Featuring a thick-non-sticky consistency, it easily gets absorbed by the skin, protecting and healing it, leaving it nourished and healthy. Crafted with Mafura Butter and Organic Coconut Oil, this cream also helps to repair skin while providing a relief when in pain. Free from chemicals and toxic elements, it does not contain any parabens, sulfates, lanolin, synthetic colors or fragrances or petrochemicals.
- Features a Lanolin-free formula
- Aimed at nurturing the skin to prevent any sores
- It is ideal for fading existing stretch marks
- Enjoys an emulsion-based formula that soaks quickly
- The products in the bundle are easy to confuse
- Packaging lacks ingenuity
#8 Cora Organic Lanolin-Free Baby-Safe Nipple Cream
Providing relief and protection from skin irritation, dry skin, and soreness, the Cora Organic Lanolin-Free Baby-Safe Nipple Cream is one of the best creams for pregnant mothers or mothers who have a newborn. Including all natural, organic ingredients, this cream aids at moisturizing and softening the skin, leaving it hydrated. Thanks to its unique formula, it prevents the skin from cracking and reduces any signs of inflammation. Ideal for everyday use, and safe for your baby, this cream is recommended by expert dermatologists and is known for its great results.
- Can be used to clean and nurture the skin
- Doesn’t leave behind any nasty residue
- Uses a USDA organic formula with natural ingredients
- It is free of glycerin and alcohol
- The cup is a bit bulky
- Its design makes it difficult to hold
#7 Nipple Balm – NSF Organic Nipple Cream
This particular cream uses a premium quality balm that is certified 100% organic by the USDA and is approved and tested to be cruelty-free and safe for both mother and child in every possible way. Providing soothing relief and nourishment to cracked sore nipples, it helps to soften the skin effectively. Made with all natural ingredients including organic olive oil and beeswax, with no harmful chemicals and toxins, it does not need to be washed off before breastfeeding. Easy to apply, with a smooth consistency, it is safe for ingestion and produces great results.
- It features a gluten-free formula
- Made from organic ingredients, it is guaranteed to cause no type of irritation
- Does not contain any allergens whatsoever
- You get two products at a reasonable price
- The smell is a bit strange
- Its contents tend to spill as soon as you open the cap
#6 Milkies Nipple Nurture Balm
Uniquely crafted with all natural organic ingredients, the Milkies Nipple Nurture Balm contains Shea Butter, Aloe, Tamanu, and olive oil. With the ability to provide relief to sore nipples, this cream helps to hydrate and nourish while relieving any irritation. Safe for your baby, the cream does not need to be removed before nursing. USDA approved and certified, this lightweight cream is free from toxins and harmful chemicals and is hypoallergenic.
- It is formulated to alleviate cracked skin
- Benefits from a 100% organic formula
- Can be used to soothe and moisturize any part of the skin
- It comes in a reasonably large cup
- Feels a bit messy once applied
- Tends to run across the skin
#5 Era Organics Mommy Balm
Known for its high quality and brilliant results, the Era Organics Mommy Balm ensures you get the relief and soothing effects from cracked, irritated sore skin around the nipple area. Providing optimum moisture and nourishment, it helps to heal and protect the skin from chaffing. Thanks to its 100% all natural organic formula, it comes loaded with anti-inflammatory agents that help in the reduction of pain. Free from parabens, toxins, lanolin, mineral oil, alcohol, added perfumes, and petroleum, this cream is hypoallergenic and is made with food-grade ingredients. These include calendula oil, cocoa butter, sunflower and apricot oil, chamomile extract and arrowroot powder and more.
- Entirely safe for nursing mothers and their babies
- Features an allergen-free formula
- Contains natural ingredients like cocoa butter and sunflower oil
- Does not contain any alcohol, petroleum, or perfume
- Tends to be a bit chunky
- Does not come with any instructions
#4 UpSpring Baby Nipple Balm and Nipple Cream
The UpSpring Baby All Natural Nipple Balm and Nipple Cream is a premium grade product that helps to repair and protect cracked and sore nipples. Put together with 100% all natural ingredients including coconut oil, this cream does not need to be wiped off before breastfeeding your baby. Light in weight with a non-oily consistency, it is free from parabens, glutens, lanolin, GMOs and petroleum and ideal for those with sensitive skin. Unlike other nipple creams of its kind, this one can also be utilized for chapped lips and any other dry skin areas on the body like the knees, elbows, and feet.
- Can be used to soothe, protect, and repair cracked skin
- Uses a lightweight, non-greasy formula
- Delivers great value through its large jar
- Can also be used on chapped lips and dry skin areas
- Difficult to apply when cold
- A bit clumpy by most standards
#3 Bamboobies Boobease Nipple Cream
Bamboobies Boobease is an all-natural nursing nipple cream that is extremely safe for breastfeeding. The ideal solution for sore nipples, this cream helps soothe and nourish cracked nipples that are caused by breastfeeding. Made with 100% organic ingredients, it helps to moisturize and protect the skin while providing mother’s with comfort, during and after nursing their baby. Free from toxic agents, the cream does not need to be wiped off before breastfeeding your baby and is safe to ingest.
- The cream uses a 100% organic formula
- Can be used to soothe, protect, and moisturize the skin
- Perfect for painful and cracked nipples
- Comes in a convenient jar
- Contains calendula which can cause problems for Hayfever sufferers
- It stains certain clothes
#2 Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter Breastfeeding Cream
Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter Breastfeeding Cream is a high-quality product that is ideally designed for dry skin related issues. Thanks to the organic herbs present in its formula, it helps to nourish and soothe the nipple area and any dry skin issues being faced. Recommended by well-known hospitals NICU’s, this nipple cream is clinically approved and tested and is irritation free and safe for mothers. Free from parabens, lanolin, and petroleum, this nipple cream does not need to be washed off before breastfeeding your baby.
- Features organic herbs to soothe and moisturize the skin
- It is dermatologist and clinically tested for irritation
- Contains no petroleum, parabens, or lanolin
- Doesn’t require that you wash it off before nursing
- Can leave behind a greasy trail
- A bit gritty by most standards
#1 Motherlove Nipple Cream Certified Organic Salve
Offering optimum protection and relief to aching cracked nipples, this ingenious and reasonably natural cream aims at nourishing and moisturizing your skin, keeping it free from irritation. Containing Emollient properties of avocado along with 100% pure lanolin and other natural ingredients, this cream soothes chapped, dry skin. Safe for nursing and breastfeeding, this cream helps to enhance the development and growth of your baby. All things considered, it is also a cream that you can easily apply on a wet or dry skin with no difficulties to speak of.
- It comes in a large 1 oz glass jar
- Features all-natural ingredients that don’t require cleaning prior to breastfeeding
- Benefits from a safe and effective formula that softens the skin to relieve pain
- It is 100% USDA certified
- Less effective on wet skin
- It leaves behind a peculiar smell
More products also worth checking out:
What To Look For In A Nipple Cream
Being a mother is one of the best feelings in the world for a woman, but along with it come certain drawbacks. Although mothers might enjoy the experience of breastfeeding, it does bring a lot of pains and aches. Breastfeeding is the best way to feed your newborn baby as it creates that unique bond between mother and child. However regular breastfeeding can cause mothers nipples to crack and bleed, causing unbearable pain and soreness. New mothers are not used to this feeling and would need all the help they can get, to toughen up and heal their overly sensitive nipples.
Why Use A Nipple Cream?
Nipple creams help to provide relief and soothe the skin by nourishing and moisturizing it. The special ingredients present in the cream aids in preventing chaffing and heals raw nipples, leaving them soft and hydrated. Some mothers prefer taking precautions and use nipple creams ever so often so that they won’t have to experience any discomfort while bonding with their baby during the breastfeeding process.
What To Avoid?
Some nipple creams, although beneficial to you, might be harmful to your child. Even more so if the baby is exposed to those specific chemicals over extended periods of time. It is for this reason that you should pay close attention to the chemical composition of any nipple cream you plan on using.
- Alcohol – This results in drier, chaffed skin. You also want to avoid alcohol-based products because they tend to interact with your skin in a rough manner, causing a series of skin problems for people with sensitive skin.
- Fragrances – Always choose nipple creams that are free from artificial fragrances if possible, because they generally contain borderline hazardous chemicals. If possible, look for a cream that is at least partially fragrance-free.
- Herbs – Comfrey and borage leaf can be dangerous for your child so it is best to stay away from these ingredients as often as you can. This doesn’t apply just to nipple creams, mind you, but to any other nursing-aimed product you might be inclined to use.
- Vitamin E – The presence of vitamin E results in diarrhea, lack of energy, and cramping if ingested by your baby. So unless you plan to thoroughly wash your breasts before each breastfeeding session, you should perhaps avoid vitamin E-based products altogether.
Features Of A Good Nipple Cream
- Nourishing and Moisturizing – A nipple cream that moisturizes and softens the skin will also prevent dryness and chapping and will keep the skin hydrated and healthy at all times; preferably without requiring that you re-apply the product too often.
- Fragrance-Free – As we already pointed out, many nipple creams are crafted with artificial fragrances that most babies may not like. Fragrances could cause your baby to drink less and they might not even latch on. So it important to choose one without added fragrances or at least a cream with natural-based perfume rather than any hazardous chemicals.
- Consistency – A good quality nipple cream should have the ability to cover up cracks and bleeding and should be of thick consistency. This would also help those mothers who suffer from extremely dry skin and mothers who suffer from allergies.
- All-natural Organic Ingredients – Cocoa butter, Shea Butter, plant extracts, and Aloe Vera are known for their soothing properties and should always be included in the nipple cream of your choosing. If possible, look for nipple creams that are entirely based on natural, organic ingredients.
- Sold in Packs – Buying in bulk is always a better option as it helps you to save money. Not only does it cost much less, but you can also be sure to never run out in a hurry and would always keep a cream in your handbag, purse, and car.
- Non-Toxic – It is essential to choose a nipple cream that is free from harmful toxins and chemicals like parabens, sulfates, GMOs, and petroleum. This way you would not need to wipe off the cream before breastfeeding your baby.
Tips on How to Use a Nipple Cream
Now that you are aware of the basic features and factors to look out for before buying a good nipple cream, you will not find it hard to make the right choice for you and your baby. Like you would with any other form of cream or balm, make sure that the product you are about to use has been certified to be used around babies. If not, at least pay close attention to opinion pieces and user reviews to make an informed decision on the matter.
- Always make sure your nipples are dry and clean and there are no traces of breast milk. Wash with warm water before you apply a nipple cream and wipe dry.
- Make sure your hands are clean and washed before you apply the cream. For those who experience bleeding and cracking, applying the cream with dirty hands would lead to infections.
- Choose a bra that is breathable as this would aid in quickening the healing process. Never put your bra on straight after applying. Always allow the cream to get absorbed first.
- Apply the cream before and after a shower and every time you breastfeed as this would provide you with instant relief. Avoid lotions and creams that need to be wiped off before breastfeeding as this could cause dry skin.
- Finally, if you are experience bleeding of any kind, cracking of the skin, and soreness in any way even after applying a nipple cream and you are in pain for more than a week, it is recommended that you visit your doctor immediately and stop breastfeeding your baby until you are sure that you won’t jeopardize the baby’s long-term health or your own.