Baby walkers have grown in popularity quite a lot over the years and they continue to do so as more and more parents are becoming aware of their utility. For most babies, those first few steps can be the scariest, especially if they lack the practical and emotional support they require. You see, a baby walker is just as much about increasing your baby’s confidence as much as it is about helping them develop the required muscle coordination.
With that in mind, new parents need to pay close attention not only to the functional side of whatever baby walker they’re pondering about but also how it stimulates your baby’s mental fortitude so as to help them overcome the expected failures in coordination when first learning how to walk. I learned this the hard way many years ago and hopefully you won’t have to, provided that you take a look at the ten best baby walkers that, in my opinion, are the best the market has to offer right now.
My Top 10 Best Baby Walkers Recommendations & Reviews
#10 Chicco Walky Talky Baby Walker
Equipped with three height adjustable positions, the Chicco, Walky Talky Baby Walker can go up to a maximum height of 33 inches. Made from premium quality materials, this walker offers good support and stability. Featuring a play tray that can be removed and played with separately, it comes inbuilt with multiple languages to choose from. For optimum safety and security, the walker also comes equipped with brake pads on the base to prevent the walker from stepping over. With a machine washable soft padded seat, the walker can be easily folded and stored away.
- It is a lot more flexible than you would imagine
- Comes equipped with a multi-lingual play tray
- It can be taken apart piece by piece for repairs
- Features a removable, fully washable padded seat
- The colors seem a bit bland
- Its circuitry is a bit sensitive
#9 Delta Children Lil’ Drive Baby Activity Walker
Designed for children who can sit up and play, the Delta Children, Lil’ Drive Baby Activity Walker is a high-quality adjustable playing companion that can be extended owing to its three-position height adjustment. Equipped with an electronic toy tray that is loaded with interactive lights and sounds, it can also be removed during feeding and snack time. Furthermore, this walker is durable, reliable, and meets all standards laid down by the ASTM and CPSC.
- Great for children that can sit up on their own
- Features an electronic, interactive tray
- Reaches all ASTM and CPSC standards
- It is very accommodating in terms of space
- It is a bit bulkier than you would imagine
- The plastic seems a bit flimsy
#8 Baby Einstein Baby Neptune Walker
Thanks to its sturdy, robust elliptical frame, the Baby Einstein, Baby Neptune Walker helps enhance your baby’s courage and confidence while learning to walk. Featuring a vibrant, colorful play station with a steering wheel that lights up and produces ocean sounds, the play station can be removed to enable floor play. Thanks to its high seat back, your baby will experience optimal support and steadiness at all times. The walker also comes with solid wheels and rubber brakes for safer movement.
- Stimulates the baby’s cognitive functions
- Enjoys a unique elliptical frame
- Has a removable nautical toy station
- Benefits from a high seat back for extra comfort
- Its front wheels could be better
- Cannot be moved sideways
#7 Combi All-in-One Mobile Entertainer
As the name suggests, the Combi, All-in-One Mobile Entertainer is designed to keep your child busy for hours on end. Resembling the design of a real car, this walker comes with a solid base that is wide and offers optimum support, it also comes with a lockable jumper. The walker is specially designed with a wider opening to accommodate larger babies while the play tray is a great feeding and snacking point and, also produces fun, interactive lights, and sounds. For added safety, the walker comes with anti-skin brake pads on the base to ensure your baby won’t fall over.
- Features anti-skid brake pads
- Quite accommodating in terms of weight
- A lot sturdier than most
- Ingeniously design aesthetics-wise
- The lower part is a bit flimsy
- Cannot be raised too high
#6 Fisher-Price Bright Beginnings Activity Walker
Featuring colorful panel with a range of exciting activities, the Fisher-Price, Bright Beginnings Activity Walker is a fun play toy and companion for your child. Equipped with 4 heavy duty sturdy wheels, it helps your child with his very first baby steps. Thanks to its foldable design, this walker folds flat, allowing sitting babies to enjoy the fun as well. Some of the activities on the panel include sliding beads, flipping doors, turning gears and more. Space efficient and easy to store, this walker is compact in size and light in weight.
- Comes brimming with side activities
- Can be folded flat for sitting babies
- You can convert it to a sturdy walker
- Has a very affordable price tag
- The plastic feels a bit cheap
- Rather unstable if pushed sideways
#5 Safety 1st Sounds ‘n Lights Discovery Walker
Designed with a fun, interactive dinosaur theme, the Safety 1st, Sounds ‘n Lights Discovery Walker features a large heavy duty base that ensures optimum safety for your child. Thanks to the three adjustable height positions, you can choose the height settings that best fit your baby. Equipped with 12 different songs that are available on a music module, the walker comes with 5 colorful toys that light up, spin rattle and crackle. Unlike others of its kind, this walker comes with ultra-sturdy wheels with robust grips that work great on all kinds of surfaces including carpets and rough flooring.
- It is built to meet federal safety standards
- Benefits from an easy washable design
- Features five playful toys for the baby to enjoy
- Can be folded with relative ease
- One of the toys tends to fall off the tray
- Its height is difficult to adjust
#4 Kolcraft Tiny Steps 2-in-1 Activity Walker
The Kolcraft, Tiny Steps 2-in-1 Activity Walker is a well-designed, entertaining kid’s product that can easily be converted from seated walker to a walk-behind walker for your baby. Thanks to the heavy-duty anti-skid pads on the base of the walker, you can ensure your child is safe and stable. The walker also features an adjustable seat pad that can be extended as your baby grows taller. Light in weight and compact in size, the walker can be easily folded for storage and is extremely convenient to carry while traveling.
- It has an adjustable height feature
- Comes with fun toys and activities for the baby to enjoy
- Can be folded flat with relative ease for storage purposes
- It can be cleaned in any fashion with ease
- Doesn’t feel too strong
- The toys sometimes get stuck to the tray
#3 Bright Starts Walk-A-Bout Walker
Ideal for both boys and girls, the Bright Starts, Walk-A-Bout Walker is a high-quality walker that features a fun safari theme. Designed with a sturdy, robust frame and rubber grips on the base, this walker comes equipped with 3 height positions that can be easily adjusted and extended as your child grows. Featuring colorful lights, sounds, and animal toys, the walker comes with an interactive play tray that can be removed and played with separately, anywhere. Designed with a foldable design, it features a steady padded seat that offers support and comfort while playing.
- It enjoys a very imaginative design
- Features a removable toy station
- Is equipped with lights, music, and toys for entertainment purposes
- Benefits from three height positions to choose from
- The edges are a bit sharp
- Has rubber guards on the bottom that affect its mobility
#2 Joovy Spoon Greenie Walker
The Joovy, Spoon Walker is a wide-based, ultra large walker that features a high-quality tray with a removable insert. This heavy-duty walker can take up to 30 lbs and a child measuring up to 33 inches in height. Equipped with 3 height positions that can be adjusted depending on the height of the child, it is uniquely designed with anti-slip stair pads and large wheels. The walker comes with a soft padded seat that offers optimum support and comfort and can be easily removed and machine washed. Free from BPA, Phthalates, and PVC, this walker is safe for your child and space-efficient at the same time.
- It is very large and accommodating
- The seat pad is supportive and comfortable
- Can be folded flat for easy storage
- Features a large tray with a removable insert
- It could be a bit taller
- Feels a little heavy
#1 VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
Popularly known for its unique design, interactive play panel, and overall high quality, the VTech, Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker comes with a great set of features to help your baby learn and develop while having fun. Constructed with high-quality plastic, the walker is sturdy and stable and can be played with while sitting or standing. The playing panel includes 5 colorful piano keys that play different sounds, enhancing the creativity levels of your child, while the pretend telephone handset and other mechanical components are guaranteed to provide a great deal of role-playing fun. The panel also includes 2 spinning rollers, 3 buttons that light up, 2 shape sorters, sound effects, music, and over 70 sing-a-long songs.
- It features an interactive learning panel
- Its early learning center has piano keys and other fun toys
- Features two colorful spinning rollers and light-up buttons
- Has no less than 70 sing-along songs to choose from
- Feels a bit flimsy to the touch
- It comes with somewhat dangerous triangle-shaped toys
More products also worth checking out:
The Ultimate Baby Walker Buying Guide
Among the endless number of items that are needed by a newborn baby, a walker is definitely one of the most common items. After taking into consideration all your baby’s needs, you should decide whether to buy one for your baby and if so, to consider the various factors one must need to keep in mind to ensure that you’re getting the right quality. We all know how playful babies/toddlers get, which is why you want a walker that is both entertaining and stimulating at the same time. Here is what you need to consider before committing to a specific model:
What Is A Baby Walker?
A baby walker is a plastic structure that is designed on wheels with a sturdy frame and a padded seat that enables babies to move easily from one place to another. Spending time on a walker can be a lot of fun for your little one, helping them develop vital motor and cognitive skills. Made to be accessible, entertaining, and relatively safe, most walkers are built to specific standards of mobility and comfort. Even so, baby walkers generally fall into three main categories.
Types Of Baby Walkers
- Convertible Walker – This type of baby walker is a seated walker that can be easily converted into a stand-up walker when your child is ready to stand up on their own. These walkers usually have toy trays and play stations that can be detached. Convertible walkers are a good option if you are looking at saving money in the future as you would not need to buy a new stand up walker as your child grows older.
- Seated Walker – Providing support to children between 15 to 26 pounds in weight, this type of walker is ideal for babies who can sit up on their own. The walker comes designed with a sturdy frame and a durable seat with two holes allowing your baby’s legs to go through. Although seated walkers help your little one learn to stand up on their own, it should not be used too much. These walkers also come with interactive play trays and toys with music and lights to keep your baby occupied.
- Sit-to-Stand Walker – Helping your child enhance their balancing skills, this type of walker comes with a sturdy frame with a bar, a play panel, and wheels, enabling your child to hold on and push while he walks around the house. Similar to a shopping cart, your child can push the walker around and can stop to sit and play with the toys and interactive elements that are included on the panel. Most sit to stand walkers are designed with removable toy panels that allow your child to play with them separately on the floor.
Pros & Cons Of Using A Baby Walker
- Helps with walking: There is no denying that some toddlers take a lot longer to walk than others. A baby walker puts your little toddler in the walking position, helping him to get used to standing up on their own.
- Stimulates your baby’s brain development: Thanks to the toys and interactive panels that come with the baby walker, babies are automatically drawn to the lights and sounds, keeping them busy while at the same time stimulating their cognitive abilities and developing their brain in the general sense.
- Provides support: Walkers help with providing optimum support to those babies who find it hard to stand and walk on their own. Over time, walkers can help babies figure out how to walk unassisted.
- Access to items around the house: Walkers make it easy for babies to reach out to items that they would normally not be able to reach. Items on shelves, desks, tables, and kitchen countertops. This may be harmful as it could lead to various accidents and injuries.
- Slows down mastery of walking: While baby walkers are growing increasingly popular each day, providing support to your child while they learn to walk and stand, they should not be used excessively as they might reduce the time your toddler needs to move independently. Allowing your child to solely depend on a walker delays the child’s ability to walk and stand on their own.
What To Consider
- Versatility – Always check if the baby walker comes with a play panel or a tray that is sufficient enough to hold toys, designed to allow it to be removed while feeding or baby walking and one that can be detached and played with on the floor. A toy panel, once removed, will allow the walker to switch to a comfortable feeding area – thus providing you with a somewhat mobile feeding station.
- Safety – Always check to see if the walker passes all the ASTM and CPSC, and JPMA standards. If not approved and certified by the above, then the product might pose a serious threat to your baby.
- Comfort – Keep in mind that your baby can barely stand, therefore it requires a comfortable spot to sit on or they would end up cranky. A soft padded, high back seat helps to optimize the comfort levels. Baby walkers with adjustable seat heights are also a great option as they can be adjusted depending on the height of your child as they grow.
- Cleaning and Maintenance – Baby walkers should be easy to clean. Babies are easily prone to hygiene-related issues and should be kept in sterile conditions. A seat and a tray that is dishwasher friendly is definitely a better option. Some baby walkers also come with trays that can be wiped clean using a wet cloth.
- Wheels and Brakes – The size of the wheels on a baby walker affects the ease of movement for your baby on different types of floors. Always choose walkers with larger wheels as they tend to move smoothly across any kind of floor. Choosing a baby walker with a good set of brakes and an anti-slip base is essential as it prevents babies from sliding or toppling over. A baby walker without brakes can call for mishaps and can be dangerous for your child long-term.