Although babies are prone to getting dirty with every chance they get, their sensitive skin makes it a bit challenging for parents to address their grooming needs without exposing the babies to borderline dangerous chemicals. Seeing how a baby’s skin differs from that of an adult, you should definitely refrain from using normal shampoos when bathing their babies, no matter how sensible the formula may be.
What you want instead is to always employ a baby shampoo, preferably one that you can stick to once you figure out which brand best suits your baby’s needs. In that regard, let us point out that there is a huge market for baby shampoos and that they’re not all formulated to meet the same standards. Let us then find out what are the ten best baby shampoos the market has to offer and what particularities to consider when buying one.
My Top 10 Best Baby Shampoos Recommendations & Reviews
#10 Aveeno Baby Wash & Shampoo
Popularly known for its high quality and effectiveness, the Aveeno Baby Wash & Shampoo is a rich, quick lathering product loaded with natural oat extracts. Free from soap, parabens, and phthalates, this shampoo is hypoallergenic and tear-free, cleansing your baby’s skin without causing any itchiness or dry skin. Uniquely formulated to gently cleanse and nourish baby’s skin, this shampoo and wash is ideal for all kinds of skin types including babies with extra sensitive skin. Safe for everyday utilization, this baby product will leave your toddler’s skin fresh, healthy moisturized and smelling fragrant throughout the day.
- Benefits from a tear-free, soap-free, paraben-free formula
- It is recommended by renowned pediatricians worldwide
- Can be used regularly with so threat of irritation
- It rinses clean without drying
- Works better as a body wash in some cases
- The scent can be quite strong
#9 Babo Botanicals Moisturizing Baby Shampoo
Free from sulfates, soy, and dairy, the Babo Botanicals, Moisturizing Baby Shampoo consists of all natural ingredients including plant extracts like Chamomile Aloe, Calendula, and Watercress. Thanks to the oatmeal present in its unique formula, it helps fight eczema, dry skin and itchiness and provides comfort and nourishment. Ideal for babies with sensitive skin, this moisturizing shampoo leaves your baby’s hair and scalp feeling warm and fresh with a mild fragrance. Clinically tested by professionals, this shampoo is safe to use on newborn babies too.
- It smells warm and comforting
- Can be used to prevent cradle cap
- Formulated to nourish dry and sensitive skin
- Entirely safe according to multiple pediatricians
- The smell can be a bit off-putting for some
- Somewhat of a ‘mild’ shampoo in regards to its quick impact
#8 Babyganics Fragrance-Free Baby Shampoo
Tested by dermatologists and expert pediatricians around the world, the Babyganics, Fragrance-Free Baby Shampoo is a highly recommended baby product by most standards. Rich, extra gentle, and tear-free, this shampoo is non-allergenic and made with all natural, plant-based ingredients. Thanks to the NeoNourish natural seed oil present in its formula, it helps clean and soothes your baby’s scalp leaving it soft and moisturized. Known for its soothing abilities, it also helps with easy combing of your baby’s hair without causing any discomfort. Safe for your child, this shampoo is free from sulfates, parabens, mineral oils, phthalates, dyes, and added fragrances.
- Its natural ingredients make it perfectly safe to use
- Features an ingenious blend of natural seed oils
- Nurtures your baby’s hair for easy combing
- It is non-allergenic even for extra-sensitive skin types
- It can dry the baby’s hair if you use too much of it
- Some people have complained about its striking smell
#7 Leona 3-in-1 Baby Shampoo
This is a safe and healthy baby product that does not contain any harsh elements, parabens, sulfates, or phosphates. Tear-free, it can be used to wash your baby’s face without worrying about eye stings or any other form of chemical damage. Unlike most shampoos, this one works as a body wash and shampoo and is a quick and easy alternative for additional individual products. Gluten-free and 100% vegan, this high-quality shampoo aims at keeping your baby clean and fresh with a well-nourished skin.
- Boasts a 100% natural formula
- Benefits from a 3-in-1 formulation that doubles as a body wash
- Guaranteed to not cause any skin damage even when used frequently
- Works much faster than regular shampoos
- May not produce too many bubbles
- The formula tends to change from time to time
#6 Learning Curve Bella B Bee Baby Shampoo
Uniquely formulated to soothe itchy flaky scalps, the Learning Curve, Bella B Bee Baby Shampoo is made with Shea butter, oatmeal, and tea tree oil. Free from parabens and hypoallergenic elements, this all natural shampoo includes special conditioners and organic elements including Aloe Vera, amino acids, vitamin E and flower extracts, that gently clean your baby’s scalp, leaving it soft and smooth. Featuring an easy to use, pump-top bottle, this shampoo easily foams up when massaged in the hair. Not only does it clean and remove impurities, but it also helps with cradle cap.
- Uses natural and organic ingredients along with skin conditioners
- Delivers a light, fresh scent
- Can be used to deal with cradle cap
- Comes in a conveniently sized bottle
- The lid is prone to spilling
- Only efficient at treating cradle cap when used frequently
#5 Aquaphor Baby Wash & Shampoo
Clinically tested and proven to be gentle on your baby’s scalp, Aquaphor, Baby Wash & Shampoo is highly recommended by most pediatricians. Featuring a mild, all-natural tear-free formula, this shampoo comes crafted with chamomile essence and panthenol that helps cleanse your baby’s skin and scalp without causing any drying. Quick to lather and easy to rinse, this shampoo is free from any harmful chemicals and harsh elements including added fragrance and dyes. Ideal for babies with sensitive skin, Aquaphor helps babies suffering from eczema, itchy skin, and skin allergies.
- Uses a mild tear-free formula
- Its chamomile essence/Panthenol enriched formula makes it perfect for itchy skin
- Formulated to cleanse with a light lather
- Easy to rinse using just a bit of water
- Unreliable pump feature
- Great for sensitive skin, lacking a bit as a shampoo
#4 Cetaphil Baby Shampoo with Organic Calendula
Cetaphil Baby Shampoo with Organic Calendula is a premium grade product made from an all-natural tear-free formula that is tested by experts and designed to be gentle on your baby’s skin and hair. Put together with organic calendula, it blends into a rich lather that rinses and washes your baby’s hair and skin, getting rid of all impurities, without drying it out. Leaving a soft, mild fragrance, this shampoo is free from parabens, colorants, mineral oils and hypoallergenic elements and is crafted with specially selected ingredients that are entirely safe for your child.
- Benefits from a tear-free formula
- Can be used to create a rich, lathering wash to clean gentle skin
- It is dermatologist tested and guaranteed to be very gentle
- Does not contain any parabens, colorants, hypoallergenic elements, or mineral oils
- The bottle is a little hard to squeeze
- A bit too ‘soapy’ by some people’s standards
#3 Johnson’s Baby Shampoo
Seen as one of the best baby shampoos out there, Johnson’s Baby Shampoo includes a tear-free mild formula that is gentle and nourishing for your baby’s scalp. Thanks to its all-natural formula that is free from soap and harmful additives including dyes, sulfates, parabens, and phthalates, it cleans and rinses quickly and with ease. Tested by dermatologists worldwide and known for its great results, this premium grade shampoo leaves your baby’s hair fresh, healthy, moisturized, and pleasantly fragrant.
- It rinses quickly and easily
- Features a soap-free, hypoallergenic formula
- Guaranteed to not cause any tears or irritation
- Leaves behind a very pleasant smell
- It comes with a pump that’s somewhat difficult to operate
- Requires that you use a large quantity for optimal results
#2 Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Shampoo and Wash
Crafted to work both as a shampoo and body wash, the Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Shampoo and Wash calms, softens, and cleanses your baby’s skin, leaving it healthy and fresh. Made from all natural ingredients, this tear-free shampoo consists of a non-irritant formula that ensures your child enjoys his or her bath. Incorporating natural ingredients including plant extracts and soy proteins, it helps to naturally cleanse and nourish your baby’s skin. Ideal for babies with sensitive skin, this shampoo is clinically proven to be safe for everyday use. With a formula that does not contain any parabens, SLS, phthalates, and petrolatum, this 99.8% all natural shampoo comes with a mild fragrance of vanilla and lavender that helps keep the baby calm when it’s bath time.
- Formulated to soften the baby’s delicate skin
- Uses a natural plant-based cleansing complex with Soy Proteins
- Delivers a relaxing lavender and vanilla aroma to put the baby to sleep
- It is 100% pediatrician tested
- Doesn’t last that long once you break the seal
- It feels a bit thin and runny
#1 Puracy Natural Baby Shampoo and Body Wash
Puracy Natural Baby Shampoo and Body Wash is a blend of all natural, pure, nourishing ingredients that include pink grapefruit essential oils, and botanical extracts. Suitable for all types of skin, this shampoo works great with babies suffering from itchy skin, eczema, and cradle cap. Thanks to its special pH balanced formula, this rich, quick lathering shampoo produces tiny bubbles with sea-salt that balances and purifies the skin. With no harsh elements like parabens, sulfates, gluten, triclosan, phosphates, formaldehyde, animal by-products, dyes, and other toxic ingredients, this shampoo comes with vegetable-based moisturizers intended to soften and nourish your baby’s skin.
- Contains no allergens or irritants whatsoever
- Formulated to help with eczema, cradle cap, and sensitive skin afflictions
- Uses a subtle blend of pink grapefruit and essential oils to nourish the skin
- Can be used without the fear of hurting your baby’s eyes
- The scent tends to persist a bit too much
- Requires that you use a lot of it for optimal results
More products also worth checking out:
What To Look For In A Baby Shampoo
The first thing you want to do when looking for a baby shampoo is to keep an eye out for gentle, moisturizing, tear-free shampoos because believe it or not, they are in the minority. While on the surface, most manufacturers swear by their shampoos and how tear free they are, chances are that this isn’t precisely the case more often than not. This is because there isn’t a central authority to actually test these products, meaning that you will have to do quite a bit of research before finding a good one. To ensure that you do, we should perhaps try to first understand what baby shampoos are all about.
What is a Baby Shampoo?
Baby Shampoos are specially formulated cleansing products that contain unique ingredients to ensure your baby’s skin is healthy and safe. Unlike your traditional shampoos that contain a lot of harmful chemicals and toxins, baby shampoos are all natural, organic and aim at keeping your baby’s skin perfectly nourished and healthy. However, there are many baby shampoos that promise a lot but are sometimes the cause of dry skin and baby rash. In fact, the less you use baby products, the better for your baby. But when you do need to purchase the right baby shampoo, it is important to ensure you select one that is allergenic, natural, and reasonably safe.
Types of Baby Shampoos
Before choosing a baby shampoo for your toddler, it is important to determine your baby’s skin type, sensitivity and if they have any skin issues including dry skin, eczema or cradle cap. With that out of the way, bear in mind that most baby shampoos fall into two main categories:
- Mild Baby Shampoo – This type of shampoo is essentially the best type owing to its all-natural formula that contains no colors, preservatives or fragrances. It is therefore important to read the label of each product thoroughly to find about its ingredients, preferably a formula with mild or all-natural ingredients to a reasonable extent at least.
- All-Natural Baby Shampoo – This type of shampoo is just as good because it contains the least amount of chemicals and comes crafted with fruit and plant extracts, jojoba and essential oils and organic elements. With a wide range of all-natural baby shampoos to choose from, you must be aware of the kind that would suit your baby’s skin type. All natural shampoos can also be fragrant free or could contain natural mild aromas like lavender etc that could help calm your baby. Fragrance can also be a factor that you must consider, as some babies do not take kindly to strong fragrances and could develop rashes.
Ingredients To Watch Out For
- Fragrances – Fragrances are added to almost all baby products including soaps, lotions, diapers etc. Most companies add in the fragrance to counter the various chemical that could have an overpowering smell. Look for baby shampoos that are fragrant free or ones that come with natural aromas obtained from the ingredients present in the product. Fragrance can cause skin rashes, an itchy dry skin, or even respiratory issues.
- Parabens – Parabens are considered toxic and can be found in a wide range of products like body washes, moisturizers, soaps and more. This ingredient can cause skin itching, hormone disruption and can be very harmful to your baby. It is advised to stay away from products that include parabens like benzoic acid and propyl ester if you can help it, or at least to look for shampoos with a small concentration.
- DEA and TEA – Diethanolamine and Triethanolamine are harmful ingredients that must be avoided if you want to keep your baby’s skin safe. These two ingredients are commonly added to shampoos and combine to cause carcinogenic nitrosamines and this can affect your child’s skin before you know it. In principle, you want to avoid DEA and TEA altogether and you should spend the extra minute looking for a formula that leans on more natural ingredients instead.
- Dioxane and Ethylated Surfactants – Although 1,4 dioxane might not be listed as an ingredient on most products, it is said that 57% of soaps and shampoos include it. If you select any product that contains the letters “eth” it is usually said that the product contains 1,4 dioxane. Some examples are Oleth, Xynol, Ceteareth, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, and Polyethylene, all known for their relative toxicity.
What To Consider When Choosing A Baby Shampoo
- Tear Free Formula – A shampoo that causes eye stinging is obviously not a good option. Choose a shampoo that does not cause any irritation to the eyes as you would not want to cause any discomfort for your baby while bathing.
- Natural Ingredients – Choosing a baby shampoo that consists of all natural ingredients like plants and fruit extracts is definitely a better choice. Shampoos that are all natural do not contain any chemicals or toxins and are safer for your baby.
- Versatility – There are many shampoos out there that work as a body wash. It is important to check the label and choose one that would help you save your money in the long run, mostly by saving what you would otherwise spend on a soap or body wash.
- Safety – Choose a baby shampoo that is clinically tested and approved by dermatologists and pediatricians. We talked about the many hazardous chemicals sometimes found in baby shampoos, chemicals that can pose certain health risks if the baby is exposed to them on a regular basis
- Fragrance – With the wide variety of baby shampoos to choose from, some parents would like shampoos with fragrance and then there are some who prefer fragrance-free products. Shampoos with fragrance are okay to choose as long as they come from the natural products used in the formulation of the shampoo itself.